Javy Guerra raced around the bases with one thoug

in Neuigkeiten 14.06.2019 04:13
von panxing18 • Meister | 501 Beiträge | 502 Punkte

SAN DIEGO (AP) —ht in mind. And even if third base coach Glenn Hoffman had held up his hands Billy Williams Jersey , Guerra was going to ignore them.Freddy Galvis doubled home Guerra from first base with the winning run in the 15th inning Friday night to give the San Diego Padres a 3-2 victory over the Arizona Diamondbacks in a game that lasted 5 hours, 2 minutes.“Even if I get the stop sign, I wasn’t to going stop,” Guerra said. “Right away I was going to home plate.”Hunter Renfroe’s pinch-hit homer for the Padres with two outs in the 12th tied the score at 2. Renfroe was a late scratch from the starting lineup because he was ill.“He wasn’t feeling good at all today,” manager Andy Green said. “I kept asking if he had a Kirk Gibson moment in him or a Michael Jordan flu game. He said he had a swing in him, and that’s what he had in him. He was able to go out there and gut it out in the outfield. That was gutsy from him.”Archie Bradley gave up Renfroe’s tying drive.“He was fairly upset about it walking back into the dugout,” Arizona manager Torey Lovullo said. “I know that Renfroe is a very capable hitter and if you make a mistake to him in the middle of the zone, he’s going to punish the ball. Archie’s been very effective as of late … and felt like it was the right situation. He just made one mistake.”Guerra drew a pinch-hit walk from Matt Andriese (0-3) leading off the 15th and scored on Galvis’ double to right field.Colten Brewer (1-0) worked two innings for his first major league win.“It’s something that I will remember for a long time,” Brewer said. “I couldn’t be happier and it’s especially gratifying when it came in a long game like that. I just wanted to pitch in the big leagues and to get a win feels even better than I imagined.”Nick Ahmed’s sacrifice fly put the Diamondbacks ahead 2-1 in the top of the 12th. Ahmed sent a shallow fly ball toward Franmil Reyes in right and initially Ketel Marte wasn’t going to try to advance from third base. But when Reyes was tardy in throwing the ball in, Marte took off and was safe on a close play at the plate.Jose Pirela’s home run off Diamondbacks reliever Silvino Bracho in the seventh tied it 1-all. Arizona had taken the lead in the top of the inning when Chris Owings scored on a passed ball.Padres rookie starter Eric Lauer allowed singles to the first two batters he faced — after limiting the Dodgers to one run over five innings in his previous outing. But the lefty tiptoed out of trouble in the first two innings.From there, Lauer settled down. He gave up an unearned run and seven hits with six strikeouts in 6 1/3 innings.Owings opened the seventh with a single and John Ryan Murphy followed with a double. With the infield in, Galvis made a spectacular, over-the-shoulder catch in short center field on pinch-hitter Patrick Kivlehan’s popup to hold the runners.Marte drew a walk to load the bases and then rookie catcher Francisco Mejia let Robert Stock’s outside pitch bounce off his glove. Owings scored to make it 1-0.Arizona starter Patrick Corbin went five scoreless innings. He allowed three hits and a walk while striking out four but remained winless since Sept. 7.TRAINER’S ROOMPadres: RHP Brett Kennedy (left knee) had surgery and is expected to be healthy for spring training.UP NEXTDiamondbacks: RHP Zack Godley (14-11 Jon Lester Jersey , 4.75 ERA) starts the middle game of the series Saturday looking to snap a four-start losing streak. His last win came on Aug. 29 against the Giants. Godley is 3-4 with a 5.40 ERA in his career against the Padres.Padres: RHP Jacob Nix (2-4, 6.81) makes his second career start versus Arizona, with both outings coming at Petco Park. He was charged with five runs and five hits while getting only two outs when facing the Diamondbacks on Aug. 16. SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Oakland Athletics manager Bob Melvin took another step toward finalizing his pitching rotation Monday, announcing right-hander Frankie Montas will be the team’s fourth starter.The 26-year-old Montas has had varied success during parts of two seasons with the A’s but was dominant this spring after adding a splitter to complement a 97 mph fastball and slider. The new pitch produced immediate results as Montas went 2-0 with a 0.56 ERA in five games with 16 strikeouts and five walks over 16 innings.He joins an A’s rotation that includes Mike Fiers, Marco Estrada and Brett Anderson.“Deservedly so,” Melvin said. “He’s had a terrific spring, pitched well whether he was starting a game, whether he was piggy-backing with somebody, and continued pitching the same the entire spring — with some pressure on him knowing that he had to win a job. Proud of him. He deserves to be in the rotation.”Melvin didn’t use a projected starter in Oakland’s 5-4 exhibition win over San Francisco, instead relying strictly on his bullpen to carry the pitching load. Nine relievers combined on a six-hitter.Mark Canha hit a two-run double off Ty Blach to highlight the A’s four-run seventh inning. Jurickson Profar added an RBI single and Marcus Semien doubled in a run.Buster Posey had a two-run single for the Giants.Montas’ emergence this spring has been huge for the A’s rotation, which has been beset by injuries for a second straight year. Top prospect Jesus Luzardo, who had a 0.93 ERA in four games this spring, has been shut down for at least a month due to a left shoulder injury.Sean Manaea http://www.chicagocubsteamshop.com/authentic-david-ross-jersey , who threw a no-hitter against the World Series champion Boston Red Sox last season, is still recovering from shoulder surgery and it’s uncertain if he’ll pitch this season. Jharel Cotton and A.J. Puk are coming off Tommy John surgery.While Melvin is unsure who his fifth starter will be, Montas cemented his turn in the rotation with a strong spring.“It feels just like a blessing,” Montas said “I was working for it. When (Melvin) told me, I was pretty happy about it. I was just trying to do my job.”Montas credited his comfort with the splitter as being the difference in his spring success. It’s something he and A’s pitching coach Scott Emerson have been tinkering with since last season.“I really tried to focus on it in spring training,” Montas said. “I feel like I’m able to throw it whatever the count. Honestly, when I started throwing it, it was to get people off my fastball. When hitters have to worry about three pitches, not just two, it makes it worse for them and better for me. Now it’s three pitches. It makes it tougher.”Montas went 5-4 with a 3.88 ERA in 11 starts for Oakland in 2018 after pitching 23 games in relief the previous season.The A’s had hoped to keep Montas in the bullpen last year but had to accelerate their plans to convert him to a starter after the injuries to Cotton, Puk and Manaea wiped out the rotation.That and Montas’ success throwing the splitter made it an easy call for Melvin to settle on him as Oakland’s fourth starter this season.“What’s made him kind of who he is now is adding the split-finger and being a true three-pitch-mix guy now with his slider, and having command of all those pitches,” Melvin said. “He’s a little bit of a different guy than we’ve seen the last couple years.”ROSTER MOVESThe Giants made a series of moves as they get closer to Thursday’s season opener in San Diego. Catcher Tom Murphy was claimed off waivers from Colorado http://www.chicagocubsteamshop.com/authentic-david-ross-jersey , catcher Aramis Garcia was optioned to Triple-A Sacramento and RHP Merandy Gonzalez was designated for assignment.Murphy had a .219 batting average with 10 home runs and 34 RBIs over four seasons with the Rockies.SPLITTING TIME AT FIRSTJurickson Profar was acquired by the A’s in the offseason to play second base after All-Star Jed Lowrie became a free agent, but Profar will also get a look at first as Oakland tries to fill the void created by Gold Glove winner Matt Olson’s hand injury.Profar batted fifth Monday behind slugger Khris Davis. Mark Canha will also play first in certain matchups, as well as in the outfield.Canha’s versatility to play both positions has helped ease the loss of Olson.“Coming off the bench, especially for a younger player, is an acquired taste,” Melvin said “It’s not something that is easy right away. He’s acclimated to it. Does he want to be an everyday player? Absolutely, but he knows that kind of that’s his role right now and he’s always ready for it.”UP NEXTAthletics: RHP Aaron Brooks is scheduled to pitch Tuesday. Oakland, which lost its first two regular-season games to Seattle in Tokyo, resumes Thursday at home against the Angels.Giants: RHP Jeff Samardzija pitches the exhibition finale against the A’s on Tuesday. San Francisco opens the regular season Thursday in San Diego.

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: Gilliam
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 12342 Themen und 12852 Beiträge.

Xobor Forum Software von Xobor.de
Einfach ein Forum erstellen